If you are anything like us, when you think of summer, you think of days spent by the pool and evenings spent by the grill! It makes sense that the month of July is recognized as National Grilling Month in the United States. In our opinion, the best way to celebrate is to head outside and get cooking! As an amenity for you, Kong Vacation Homes offers charcoal grills at all of our single-family rental properties, located in Tampa Bay, Hallandale Beach, and Davie, Florida. But before you fire up the grill, we have some important safety information and grilling tips for you!
There are so many reasons to cook outdoors, including keeping the house cool and spending time with family. We also think that grilling makes everything taste better! Did you know that grilling is cooking something on a grill quickly over direct heat at high temperatures while barbecuing is cooking low and slow over indirect heat? Whichever cooking method you prefer, we can agree that the best cookout is a safe one!
In addition to being National Grilling Month, July also is the peak month for grill fires. The National Fire Protection Association reports an average of 8,900 home fires a year are caused by grilling, and that almost half of all grill injuries are due to thermal burns. Here are some tips for the safe use of a charcoal grill:
- Grill outside on a level, paved surface that is at least 10 feet away from the home or any structures.
- Make sure the grill is clean.
- Use charcoal starter fluid BEFORE lighting the grill. Never add charcoal starter fluid to coals that are already hot or even warm.
- Use a grill lighter with a long neck, keeping your hands away from the charcoal.
- Clothing can easily catch fire, so make sure to tuck in your shirt tails, sleeves, and apron strings!
- Consider wearing heat-resistant gloves while grilling.
- Keep a fire extinguisher within close reach. If you don’t have one available, keep a bucket of sand next to the grill! Never use water to put out a grease fire.
- Never leave a lit grill unattended.
- Create a safe zone around the grill, keeping kids and pets away and avoiding accidents.
- Never try to move a lit or hot grill. Remember that the grill will stay hot for at least an hour after use!
- Allow the coals to burn out completely and let ashes cool at least 48 hours before disposing of them.
- Do not grill while intoxicated!
Now you’re ready to grill and chill! Your next step is to book one of Kong Vacation Homes for your summer vacation and celebrate National Grilling Month with us! All of our single-family homes are beautifully landscaped with large backyards and paved areas for grilling! In addition to the charcoal grills found at all properties, many of our vacation homes have heated pools/spas and covered porches, too! Whether you’re relaxing on the screened lanai, sipping a sweet tea on the pool deck, or grilling up your family’s favorites, we hope you will enjoy the amenities inside and out!
And, if you visit us this July, there is even more to celebrate. In addition to being National Grilling Month, July also is recognized nationally for these very complimentary occasions:
- National Hot Dog Month
- National Baked Bean Month
- National Picnic Month
- National Ice Cream Month
- National Blueberry Month
Talk about a feast of celebrations! Whether you stay at one of our vacation rental homes during your summer vacation or any time of the year, we want you to have a memorable experience. We are always on the lookout for ways to enhance your stay, so contact us with your ideas at 866-499-9026 or firstname.lastname@example.org! Happy National Grilling Month!